TSPSC Group-1 Syllabus Paper-5 Science& Technology and Data Interpretation
Detailed Syllabus of TSPSC Group-1 : Paper V Science & Technology and Data Interpretation
PAPER- V – SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY AND DATA INTERPRETATION
I. The role and impact of Science and Technology.
1. Classical and Emerging areas of Science & Technology : Value addition by Science & Technology, Current Science & Technology developments in India and importance of Science & Technology as an engine for National Development ; Industrial development & Urbanization.
2. National Policy of Science & Technology: changes in Policy from time to time: Technology missions – ICT: Basics in Computers, Robotics, Nano technology and Communication.
3. Space program in India and its applications with special reference to industrial, agricultural and other rural development activities, INSAT, IRS systems, EDUSAT and Chandrayaan-1 and future programme.
4. Application of Space Technology in India with references to Education, Agriculture and Industry. Climatic change, Floods, Cyclone, Tsunami, Natural and Manmade Disaster Management.
5. Energy Resources: Energy demands, Indian energy scenario- hydel, thermal and nuclear. Importance of renewable resources – Solar, Wind, small/Mini/Micro hydel, Biomass, waste based, geothermal, tidal & fuel cells. Energy security – Role of Science & Technology, Bio-fuel cultivation and extraction.
II. Modern Trends in application of knowledge of Science.
1. Crop Science in India; Characteristics of Plants – Crop plants, Forest species, Medicinal Aromatic plants, Useful and Harmful plants and utility for mankind.
2. Concept of Biotechnology and application of genetic engineering and Stem Cell Research. Biotechnology in Agriculture (bio-fertilizers, bio – pesticides, bio- fuels, tissue culture, cloning) and Environment (Biotechnology in Environmental cleanup process)
3. Food bio-technology, Food safety and Food quality standards, Food Laws and Regulations. Recent trends in organic farming and farm mechanization. Safe Drinking Water – Defluoridation and other Techniques.
4. Microbial infections; Introduction to bacterial, viral, protozoal and fungal infections. Basic knowledge of infections caused by different groups of micro organisms- diarrhoea, dysentery, cholera, tuberculosis, malaria, viral infections like HIV, encephalitis, chikungunya, bird flu- preventive measures during out breaks.
5. Vaccines: Introduction to immunity, Fundamental concepts in vaccination and traditional methods of vaccine production ( production of DPT and Rabies vaccine), Production of modern vaccines (production of Hepatitis Vaccine).
III. Data Interpretation and Problem Solving.
1. Data Analysis – Analytical Interpretation of statistical Data, Study of Graphs and Charts – Bar graphs, Line graphs and Pie- charts and drawing conclusions.
2. Problems based on Tabular and Diagrammatical Data – Problems based on Probability Logical Reasoning, Analytical and Mental ability.
3. Quantitative Aptitude – Number Sequences, Series, Averages, Number Systems, Ratio and Proportion, Profit and Loss.
4. Time and Work, Speed -Time – Distance, Simple Interest, Analytical and Critical reasoning.
5. Decision Making and Problem Solving: A duly structured situation will be presented to the candidates and they will be asked to analyze and suggest their own solution to the problem arising out of situations.